Tuesday, April 29, 2014

My Life-Long Battle


 All my life I’ve fought it.  That thing called obesity.  I was a chubby kid and teen, and have only enjoyed a few select periods of my adulthood where I wasn’t the “fat one” in the room.  Being 5’10” was somewhat of an advantage.  People trying to console me in my obese misery would say, “Well, at least you’re TALL,” like somehow that gave me a pass to carry around 50 unwanted pounds and be content.  I come from a long line of overweight genes, on both sides of my family, so I was born obese into an obese clan.  And let’s face it, I love food.  All the wrong kinds.  In mass quantities.
There were the times in my life where I could actually look in the mirror and say, “Yeah, kid, you look ok.”  I recall a year in college when I looked pretty great.  The summer or two before I worked at a local motel as a maid.  Besides working early in the morning and having the afternoons free to suntan, (a must when you’re 19), that job was one of the most physically demanding I had done to date.  Making up 20 beds a day and scrubbing down 10 showers every day got me sleek and slender.  But it was short-lived.
The next memory I have of being that perfect size 12 was right before I got married in 1989.  I had embarked on an extensive diet plan with NutriSystem.  It’s a fine plan and it worked great for me.  But of course I ate their pre-packaged food, and found it difficult transitioning back to real food and real life, especially as a new bride in a new city with a new job.  Way too much change in one helping.
I honestly think I’ve tried just about every diet and plan and scheme there is out there to lose weight.  In the old days I remember taking an over-the-counter diet pill that contained phenylpropanolamine (PPA) and the amphetamine-like compound ephedra.  And for a short time I took the equally dangerous fen-phen.  Yikes.   I did the cabbage soup diet, tried SlimFast, Weight Watchers (another truly fine program), and Atkins, all with varying degrees of (at best) temporary success.
In 2002 I found myself in my 40’s and weighing about 325 lbs., wearing nearly a 4X in clothing.  And yes a 4X is too large, even for a “tall” girl.  So I opted for gastric bypass surgery in August of that year, and it probably saved my life.  I finally lost about 125 lbs., and eventually settled at around 200.  Even after that remarkable loss, I was still classified as “obese,” but at least I was not MORBIDLY obese.   I decided to be happy with my body where it was and though I fluctuated a bit over the next few years, managed to stay within about 20 lbs. of that 200 mark.
Until I hit my 50’s.  Then a number of things happened.  I began to develop arthritis in several joints (knees, hips, hands), took a fall in the tub that dealt the final blow to my right knee, making it an eventual replacement candidate for the future.  I started taking Celebrex.  I moved from a very active job in a hospital back to a desk job.  And due to some financial difficulties, we lived with a relative for about three years who lovingly did all the cooking for me and my husband, including my favorite things: never-ending carbs on the menu as well as a nightly desert.  In no time I found myself 60 lbs. heavier and feeling quite miserable again.  With my bad knee, exercise was pretty much impossible.  I was headed into yet another downward spiral of depression.
And believe me, when you are a gastric bypass veteran, NO ONE wants to hear about your weight-gain woes.  People see you gaining weight after undergoing this drastic surgery, and they just think you are the most hopeless soul, greatly to be pitied.  It's like having to declare bankruptcy shortly after winning the lottery; it just shouldn't be happening.  But the truth is, trouble with weight gain a few years after this type of surgery is rather common I've discovered.  The surgery is performed on your inward parts, but not on your brain.  It still craves all the bad stuff.
Usually gastric bypass is that last-ditch emergency solution, and after you’ve done that, you are just out of options.  This is what you tell yourself, because you think it’s the truth.  I planned on returning to Weight Watchers, as I knew it was a solid plan.  If I could just keep my cravings for all those bad things under control.  If I could just resist cheating.  If I could just exhibit some will power.  Losing weight was a priority, but for probably the first time in my life getting healthy and just feeling better were now center stage in my efforts. 
At 56, I felt prematurely old and decrepit.  I would count the hours until 3:00 pm every day, so I could take my pain medication so I could make it through the rest of my day.  After my work day, I would usually just collapse in my recliner for the evening.  Doing the grocery shopping and getting some laundry done was absolutely ALL I could handle on the weekends.  We would hire a maid once a month to do the heavy cleaning in our apartment as I just could not physically keep on top of it.  This added to my depression and feelings of failure and worthlessness.  Such was my life.
Then . . . a miracle arrived at my doorstep.  My massage therapist Hilda introduced me to a company called Plexus Worldwide and their products.  I tried Plexus Slim, the little Pink Drink along with the Accelerator+ for about a week.  I was astounded at how much energy I had!  Now, this isn’t the kind of “energy” you’re thinking of: wired to the point of insanity.  I remember hearing my Mom tell of the “diet pills” back in her day (the early 50’s) that wound her up so tight she told me she’d be out gardening at midnight because she had so much “energy!”  That stuff was essentially prescription speed.  So, no, Plexus did NOT give me THAT kind of energy.  I just felt UP and ready to face the day; a great feeling when you haven’t been in that frame of mind, body and spirit for a LONG time.
Wow, I could come home at night after work and actually DO a few things around the house.  Amazing.  And then the next miracle: I wasn’t obsessing over food 24/7.  Plexus Slim was having a tremendous effect in suppressing my appetite.  I would look up at the clock at work, realize it was lunchtime, and I hadn’t even had a thought for a mid-morning snack.  And because I wasn’t feeling ravenously hungry, I was able to make better choices.  “Ah, I think I’ll just have a chef salad.”  Trust me, this is NOT how my brain thinks when left to its own devices.  I was thinking about food differently!  This has never happened before.
What I was absolutely NOT expecting:  my arthritis and inflammatory pain started to improve!  What?!  I realized at work one day when 5:00 pm rolled around: it dawned on me I hadn’t even THOUGHT about taking a pain pill.  Oh can this really be happening?  Of course I’m still dealing with chronic pain and probably always will, but now it’s at a much reduced level.  I’m ecstatic!
So to say I’m in LOVE with these products is an understatement.  All natural ingredients.  Made here in the good old USA.  Sold via direct sales by people like ME who are having crazy good success with their weight loss and help with other painful symptoms or conditions.  I signed up as an Ambassador because I knew this company was for REAL and I wanted to be a part of it!  Do you think I should stop gushing now?  Sorry, not a chance.  I’ve never had a blog before, but here I am, because Plexus is just one of those things I will probably never stop talking about and sharing with people--like me--who need to feel better--physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Come along with me and let’s do this.  We can change the world.  One little Pink Drink at a time.
Robinsky

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin! This is a great read, because it helps me to know what you've been through during these years that our friendship has been distant. It must feel wonderful to find something that works after all these years.

    I've had a few "heavy" times myself, but usually my bicycling and walking keeps my weight in a healthy range. I'll be keeping an eye on your blog and will be praying for you and rooting for your success! --Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Mark! Having old friends like you praying for me means a lot. I finally have hope that I'll be seeing thinner and more importantly healthier days ahead.

    ReplyDelete